Monday, March 9, 2009

'Maama' Kits promote safe deliveries in Uganda

This is at the Millennium Village I'll be staying at for Spring Break:

ReliefWeb Document'Maama' Kits promote safe deliveries in Uganda:
"...Now, thanks to a health kit disseminated by UNDP and known as the 'Maama' Kit, the number of medically-supervised deliveries in Ruhiira has increased to 75%, up from 8% in December 2007. That's 263 births per months, up from 51.

The 'Maama' Kits are designed to help women deliver in clean conditions. They include baby sheets; soap; pads; gloves; a surgical blade; a sterilized chord for tying the umbilical cord and rehydration packages.

The pack reduces the risk of vaginal and eye infections, tetanus and diarrhea, all of which may occur in bad hygiene conditions [...]"

2 comments:

usmason said...

Hi, Annie, I am very interested in the Millennium Villages. I hope that we could share your precious experience after the break.

Unknown said...

Thanks, Masa! I am excited to go and I'll be sure to give everyone a full report when I return!